June 16, 2010

The Empty Desks


Circa May 2007, at a food stall in Tronoh known as Fiza’s port.

“Aku suruh korang datang sini jumpa aku sebab aku nak beritahu korang berdua yang korang berdua dah dapat surat untuk join team aku officially. Aku tahu korang berdua nak kerja, so this is the least I could do to help. Alhamdulillah, management dah terima korang… so kerjalah elok-elok. Apa-apa masalah, jumpa aku terus….”

Those were the words I said to Adik and Kembar about three years ago. That time I had known both of them when I was still with UPD. Our friendship continues and when I came into SSM and was given the chance to pull in another two guys, I immediately called them in.

Both of them combined with Bro and Zali have been the best team one could ever imagine. They never question their superior’s decisions, express their disagreement in a very polite manner, very hardworking, and in most of all have demonstrated professionalism in their work.

I have worked with two different teams throughout my career in the supervisory level. The UPD team was dealing more on software, while the SSM team is more to hardware. One main thing I learn about both teams is that good team members are hard to come by. Until today, the members of the UPD team are still in contact with me and we meet once in a while.

June 16, 2010.

“Hi all,

I will be on leave from tomorrow until end of the month, so it can be considered today is my last day working with Sapura… after 3 wonderful years with the company.”

That was Adik’s last words in his email. I look at it in despair. It was three years ago when I sat with both of them in Tronoh, briefing them about taking them into Perak team. Today, I am totally speechless and I can’t find any word to comfort myself, let alone to comfort them.

At 6pm sharp, Adik and Kembar walked out the door and shall never return. I look at their empty desks…

No words can describe how hopeless I was when I saw Adik’s car leaving the office. I had lost nine men under my command when I was with UPD, and now I lost another two with SSM. In both occasions, it was because of management mishap.

I was so depressed that I had to cry while I was driving home. The world really is a place of unfair competitions. But being Muslims, I have to believe that whatever happens is truly nothing but fate of almighty Allah.

“Sabarlah. Semua ada hikmahnya”, said YA. I wiped by tears away. I stopped at the Keledang junction and read her text message again and again. I guess that was the most comforting message so far.

I wouldn’t feel so upset if any of my men leaves the team for a better offer, or in other words, resigns. But in Adik’s and Kembar’s case, their contracts were terminated. Being their immediate supervisor, I have to look at them packing their stuff with that look of frustration on their faces. The worse part is not being able to do anything.

HCM said to me, “It’s beyond your control. I also feel sad when first two of my staff left. Nangis masa farewell tapi no more. Better for them actually”. She’s right, in a way. Still I find it hard to swallow for the time being.

Life has to go on. Tomorrow I will be driving around the state to settle whatever cases I can. With limited sources in hand, I doubt I can cover everything. The best thing to do right now is just to clear up whatever I could. Those beyond my capability, I shall leave it up to Allah to decide.

It may take a while for me to swallow all this. It hurts me really bad, I must say. It really hurts.

“Oh brother..”