July 13, 2010

Ops SEMESTA


July 12, 2010; Tapah.

I look at my watch while leaning myself to the wall. It is twenty past three in the afternoon. The hot weather seems unbearable. I have been here at this school’s building for a couple of hours, planning for the drop shipment of one of the most biggest and most tedious delivery and installation of ICT items in the history of CENCON – Ops SEMESTA.

Among the items include 256 units of PCs, 69 units of laserjet printers, 256 units of tables, 17 units of projectors, 3 units of server s, 256 units of AVRs, and a few other various peripherals all listed in one single local order. The units will be installed at different places throughout the school complex with different combination of items.

The PCs comes in a set of two boxes which comprise of CPU terminal and a LCD monitor. So altogether there are 512 boxes, each totaling about 17 kilograms. The PCs have arrived earlier and is currently stored in one of the rooms on the first floor of the administration building together with the printers and servers. On the day the PCs arrived, Adik joined Zali and Bro to bring those PCs up to the store room and it took them almost six hours.

On Wednesday July 14, all three of us (Zali, Bro and I) will be going to Tapah to receive the goods. Some of the goods arrived last week. Bro is still doing what he could to help while he still can. If the installation is dragged for more than a week, that means we all have to come back and complete the whole installation, testing and commissioning of all the ICT items.

I know what’s on your mind. I am left with only Zali when Bro leaves next week. I am fully aware of that. Just this morning Jenny called and told me that she nearly fainted when she saw the 256 units of tables for SEMESTA. I know the numbers are big and there are only three of us to do the whole installation.

But then again, what is there to be afraid of? Miracles do happen, and I believe although we are short of manpower, we could still finish up the whole installation process. With proper planning, the most difficult task can be accomplished like a snap of a finger. After all, “Hey, ni Ilyas la. If NASA can shoot a washing machine up to the sky, I can sure bring it down!”.