May 7, 2010

Senja Nan Merah

May 7, 2010

The time is 9.32pm. I receive a text message.

"I'm thinking of resigning by end of the month or middle of next month. What do you think?"

I am stunned. The person whom I know as one who has a strong heart wants to leave. I am speechless. I take a glance at my wife and tell her that I’m going for a ride. She nods. I think she knows that something is bothering me.

My disturbed mind takes me all the way to the office. I park my car right in front of the entrance and just sit in the car with the engine still running. The signboard has been taken off, and it looks as if the bringing down of the signboard had deteriorated my passion for work. Now I learn that one of my closest counterparts is thinking of leaving, it further snaps my breath for away.

I can understand why this friend of mine wants to call it quits. The event that is happening in the Company now really puts enormous pressure on her. No matter what she does now, it looks bad to the eyes of the management. I know she made a mistake, but to my opinion the mistake was “under duress” by someone else.

Whatever it is, I know there’s nothing I can do to stop her from leaving. I remember the first time we met in a meeting at The Mines with NA and my ex-boss NR. Gosh, it was like just yesterday! Since then our friendship has taken off to greater heights, with her advising me in so many things particularly on operational finance. Although we’ve known each other for just a little more than a couple of years, she has taught me in many ways, silently driving me towards achieving my goals in career.

As I enter the empty office, I know that my job is not going to be as fun anymore. I have made so many friends since I started working as a clerk back in the 90s, and nonetheless, I have also lost many of them along the way. Now I guess I’ll be counting the days to hear the phone rings with a voice conveying the message that marks another chapter in my life – the day I lose a good friend.

To this friend of mine (you know who you are), in case if you have really decided to leave, I want you to know there has been nothing as special as being in the Company and working alongside with you. Although we are from different departments and doing different jobs, I have always looked upon you as one of my teacher. And most of all, I have always admire your determination and calmness. As much as it’s going to hurt me and others, I understand why you make such decision and I offer my deep gratitude for a beautiful and hopefully everlasting friendship.

It’s already close to half past eleven. I drive off, listening to Senja Nan Merah on the radio.