May 5, 2010
The Signboard is Down
“If this con's the bait to catch that psychopath, let's hang him from a tree.” ~ Captain ‘Soap’ Mactavish in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
We’re moving again. The Holding Company is in the process of consolidating its subsidiaries. It makes sense why the boys up the hill take such action – costs are shooting up high in most projects and the Company is not making enough to maintain its black cash flow.
The real downfall may seem obvious to many of us the Company. But in my opinion, I’d rather look forward and figure out how to not only clean up the mess, but also to avoid the events from ever happening again.
It is true that there are ups and downs in business. Any Tom, Dick and Harry can understand that. Open economies, market trends, and brand favoritism, and political stability, shape businesses and industries in various ways. Consumers nowadays don’t just go for product quality, but also after sales services, and value added packages that, in the long run, could determine business sustainability. Those are the main external factors influencing business performance.
However if a business plunges into stumbling block due to its own characteristics, perhaps the management could study the causes by reassessing its chore values, strategic information systems planning (whether it is aligned with the corporate mission and vision), communication structure, etc.
Again, any Tom, Dick, and Harry could realize that. I am sure the top management is doing whatever they can to ensure the Company makes a comeback. It’s very painful indeed. But painful as it is, the employees of the Company have not much choice but to face the consequences.
I look at my watch. It’s already 6.24pm. The dark clouds are gathering, the wind blowing between the blocks of the office.
“It’s time”, Megat says. I walk out the door and sees Inderan waiting for me at the parking lot. I have asked Inderan to lend us the 20 feet ladder to bring down the Company’s signboard. It is quite an emotional moment for some of us. Everyone work just as hard but we end up in the gulag.
Ina on the phone.
"Siapa yang turunkan signboard awak?", she asks. I had messaged her about the operation earlier.
“Kitorang buat sendiri. Lepas kerja tadi kitorang mula. Sekarang ni saya tunggu decision HQ on how to scrap the signboard yang besar tu”, I explain to her while driving.
I have made some arrangements with Safari of SST to meet up tomorrow. There are so many things to do, so little time. I just hope I can survive the intense pressure knowing the fact that my men are partly demoralized due to the recent rumors about the Company is closing down its operations.
Just about three weeks ago my immediate superior NR called to announce his resignation. Now that’s an easy escape, I thought. He said his functions have been taken off of him and there is no point staying. I refuse to comment on that. I think it is better for him to leave. For all that he has done to the tech guys, I am not surprised if they'd kill him for free!
At the moment I still have the White House project on top of everything. I’m always in close contact with ERR of the CEO’s office. He once told me that if ever I need anything, I could just give him a buzz and he’ll do the necessary to help me. I think I’m going to save that for last.
As I turn nearby the old Rex cinema, I change my course and head straight to Jalan Gopeng. My mind is all cooked up. It’s time to let go of the tense. I drive straight to iMAX cybercafé and place myself in a comfortable seat. I need to shoot some people.