September 29, 2010

Fighting A Silent War


In most cases in life, fate of Allah swt overwrites our plans. There are many occasions whereby we predicted something and devoted ourselves into it but fate of Allah swt chips in and made it otherwise.

Well my life is no exception. It truly is a great experience, and as my elder brother puts it – very dramatic.

I have everything planned to work in KL and be with my parents. But the moment I landed and started to acclimatize myself, one by one my plans start to change. The true fact is I didn’t change them. It is all the work of Allah swt.

The past couple of months I have been going through many things – from dealing with Russians to talking to the cousin of our Yang Di Pertuan Agong. But the most challenging part and gripping experience was the day I was hospitalized and later ended up in the operating theatre of KJP Damansara Specialist Hospital.

I had my appendix removed. That’s one thing. I was rushed to the hospital after I complained of terrible pain on the abdominal part. The surgery which was supposed to be only an hour, but it lasted for three.

The day after the surgery, surgeon Dr. Naqiyah Ibrahim came to check on me and revealed something shocking. Apart from appendicitis, Naqiyah told me that I have a problem with my ‘meckel’s diverticulum’. What the hell is that?

Meckels diverticulum is an embryological remnant tissue - majority of us would have had it all shriveled and lost but some of us would have the remnant ... how it works is not dissimilar to an appendix essentially – i.e. sometimes can get infected and causes symptoms similar to appendicitis. It can also cause intusucception especially in the young although not uncommon in the adults too. The latter just means the gut "telescope" into one another with the meckels as the focal point and when this happens it constricts the blood supply to the part of gut and can cause in worse case scenario ischemia (death of that part of gut)”, she explains.

The rest of the story is not important. I think I’ll save that for myself.

So there you have it. In three years, my body had been opened up twice. Life will not be as it used to be in the years to come. My list of allergy is growing, my movement is more restricted, the number of pills I have to take is more, and every visit to the doctor promises endless appointments.

I’ll be battling a silent war, so quiet that no one would even notice its presence. And this time I’ll be fighting it alone.